I had my first big test at being a parent all by my lonesome on Saturday night. I spoke of the apprehension of seeing Dania going out our door and it just being me, Ayla and the dog we call Spit. I won't lie I was really nervous. It was a first for me and although I have a sense of what I'm doing, doing it all by yourself when no ones around can be a little overwhelming.
Dania left sometime around 5:00pm. Spit needed to go for a walk so Ayla and I kissed Mom on the cheek told her to have a great time and headed out just the three of us.
Ayla was tired so she decided to have a late nap in her chair on wheels. We were out and about for half an hour before heading inside for the big night.
She decided to sleep for about an hour. Any parent will know a late nap means a little night on most occasions. I must have checked in on her ten times. Around the 10th time the little angel opened her eyes and said "where's mommy..?". No she didn't she can't talk. I picked her up and enjoyed my after nap cuddle time which only lasts five minutes but oh it's the best 5 minutes in the world.
It was getting late so I new she'd be hungry so she had some oatmeal. Her new thing at nights. You want to fill that belly up for sleepy time. Dinner time was great no squirming or fits of rage. Just a happy little girl with here Papa.
Meal time was over so I thought we'd play for a little bit. Playtime is really just crawling around on the floor and putting things in her mouth.
Play time came drawing to a close I saw some tired eyes peering up at me so it was time for bath time.
Bath time was amazing she had so much fun in there. Splashing around playing with the shampoo bottle and letting out high pitched screams. I dried her off and changed her into her bedtime outfit.
I knew the big test of the evening was coming and that was bedtime. With no bottle no boob I decided on a little more oatmeal. Ayla ate it up I guess she was still hungry or new in the back of her mind what Daddy was up to and she thought she'd help the cause. I started the bedtime proceedings at around ten to eight. It lasted until about 8:45. She was tired and we walked around the condo for awhile. While walking around she did everything in her power to not fall asleep on my shoulder. She'd but her head there but seconds later would wake up as if she just missed something.
When I finally put her down I did so with a huge smile on my face. I was proud of myself I was proud of the daughter I'm raising.
Saturday night is one of the best evenings of my life. I learnt in that small amount of time what it really means to be a parent. Your child depends on you and you have to be there every step of the way. I like girls nights because it means it's Dad and daughter night to.

2 comments:
thanks for making me cry casey. :) that was the sweetest thing i've heard in ages. xox
Good job Casey!! I guess I should put Trev to the test now!
Post a Comment